Thursday, July 3, 2014

Skinny Dipping

     Children have the ability to learn at a rate that puts adults to shame. That being said, I have noticed children do, however, have trouble when it comes to unlearning things. Stay with me here, on average, when a child learns something it sticks in their brain like puddy. But should a parent change the rules so to speak, kids tend to get nervous, confused and may choose not to listen.
     Here's an example: When kids go swimming, they are taught to wear a swimming suit. Sounds reasonable, right? But should a child not have access to a suit, shorts or underwear might suffice.
     This happened when my family went to Florida last spring. The car caring my kids swim suits stopped at the grocery store before going to the rental house so my kids and I arrived at the house before our luggage. They were so desperate to jump in the pool I finally agreed to allow them to swim in their underwear. The looks on their faces were priceless. Underwear? Had mom gone mad?
     I explained to them that under certain circumstances, like missing luggage, they were allowed to improvise and wear something other than a swimsuit. They were not convinced. When my dad finished checking out the house he met us by the pool. I explained the swimming issue to him and he agreed that the kids could go in their underwear. Still nothing. Going against what they were taught was too much for them. For a while anyway. But soon the warmth of the pool became to much and they jumped in. They yelled and screamed and had a great time.
     Months later, while swimming in my parent's pool back in Minnesota, Miles threw his swimsuit from the pool onto the concrete. My girlfriend and her kids were enjoying the pool as well and burst out laughing.
     "Um...Bud, why did you take off your swimsuit?"
     "What do you mean? I've done it before?"
     "Really? When? I don't remember you swimming without a swimsuit before."
     "In Florida, Nola and I went swimming naked, remember?"
     Florida, Florida, oh yeah, underwear swimming.
     "Well, Bud, in Florida you had on underwear, you weren't naked. Could you please put your suit back on for me?"
     Then without a second thought, he grabbed his suit, put it back on and continued swimming. My friend and I tried to control our laughter so we wouldn't embarrass him but I guess that's what I get by changing the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment